Job Title: Head of Venue Management and Hires
Reports to: Director of Operations
Responsible for: Events Officer, Building Services Manager, Front of House Manager
Wac Arts is an arts charity based in the Old Town Hall, Belsize Park, North London. It has been located in the beautiful Grade 2 listed building since 2000, but has been operating for 40 years as a creative hub, where young people build confidence, artists connect and other arts and cultural organisations thrive. Wac Arts vision is empowering young people to change their world through arts, with a commitment to those who face barriers to opportunities
Wac Arts offer arts programmes for children and young adults from the ages of 5 – 26 including a unique full time performance arts course. Our Ambition is to enable three times the number of young people to experience the transformational effect of Wac Arts by 2021.
- To develop and deliver a sustainable and relevant hire strategy to maximise opportunities for Wac Arts and to enhance the reputation of Wac Arts as an events venue.
- To support the development of the building as a community and creative arts hub.
- To define and maintain a sustained high level of customer service, internally and externally.
Key Result Areas:
Venue Sales and Hires
- To develop the commercial use of Wac Arts building as a venue for productions, conferences, rehearsals, and commercial hire, including filming and photography, in order to drive income to support the charity.
- To maximise the income potential from all external hires and events, and to maximise occupancy of the building (from hires and tenants).
- To research and develop other commercial and business opportunities for the building, monitoring the external environment and working with colleagues in other teams to identify and exploit allied income sources.
- To work with the Marketing team to plan and implement a marketing strategy and a range of tools to target a wide and varied market for hires and tenancies.
- To make recommendations for competitive, market appropriate pricing strategies across the venue hire offer.
- To be the first point of contact for the tenants in the building and to maintain and develop the strategy for leasing our offices and creative spaces.
- To identify, implement and manage the systems required to deliver a sustained, first-class level of customer service and to resolve any day to day operational issues that may affect the delivery of events.
- To develop and maintain relationships with existing and new customers, and to deliver a high quality customer experience.
- To lead all external event planning, liaising with internal and external stakeholders to ensure seamless delivery.
- To manage the sales and bookings of external events, including prompt contracting, invoicing, receipt of deposits and payment of invoices.
- To advise on and assist with the planning and delivery of in-house events, including set-up, room dressing and catering.
- To work with the finance team to develop effective and efficient systems and processes to ensure accurate and consistent information is held.
- To ensure that, where required, risk assessments are provided by clients and that events comply with health and safety standards.
- To be the Designated Premises Supervisor and to ensure that all licences are upheld during the planning and operating of all events.
- To work with the Director of Operations to oversee the upkeep of the historic building, ensuring that it is maintained to appropriate and affordable levels.
- To be a key part of the Project Team to create a feasibility plan for the delivery of the priority projects in Wac Arts’ Building Master plan (‘Inside Out Wac Arts’).
- To be part of and provide administrative support to the Building Sub Committee.
- To support the Philanthropy team in generating funding bids for further capital funds to improve the infrastructure and design of the building.
Financial and Human Resource Management
- To set income and expenditure budgets for all areas of responsibility, in conjunction with the Director of Operations, and to ensure that the budgets are properly and effectively managed.
- To consider ways of reducing costs, while maintaining or improving services, but also to recommend areas for investment which would support the strategic aims of the charity.
- To work with the finance team to review monthly management accounts to track levels of income and to highlight as early as possible any areas of concern.
- To manage, motivate, support and develop all direct reports, including monitoring and assessing performance.
- To be responsible for setting team KPI’s, in conjunction with the Director of Operations, and ensuring that the teams deliver against objectives.
- To work collaboratively with other Heads of Department and to contribute to the strategic and organisational development of Wac Arts.
- To keep up to date professionally and with the external environment in which the charity operates.
- To comply with the policies and procedures of Wac Arts.
- To undertake any other relevant and appropriate duties as required by the Director of Operations.
Wac Arts is an equal opportunities employer and actively promotes diversity in the staff team. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We run a building which has accessible facilities such as parking, wheelchair access including lifts, ramps and accessible toilets. Please let us know if you need more support with your application or need a different format.
Please send a CV and covering letter (2 pages max) highlighting your relevant experience inline with the job purpose and specification and the equal opportunities form to Julie.Weston@wacarts.co.uk.
Deadline for applications is 10am on Monday 10th December.
Wac Arts is a Registered Charity (No: 267043)